In honor of Martin Luther King Day, we have decided to post some of our favorite quotes by the great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We hope you enjoy these quotes as we honor the life of one of the greatest men in history.
- "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
- "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
- "We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies."
- "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent."
- "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
- "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
- "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
- "History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."
- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
- "I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word."
- "Whatever your life's work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better."
- "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'"
- "Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."
- "The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important."
- "The art of acceptance is the art of making someone who has just done you a small favor wish that he might have done you a greater one."
What is your favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. Quote? Let us know on Facebook!