When you decide to ride your motorcycle to work or for an after-work or weekend drive, you can’t forget that safety has to be front of mind. It’s important that you have the right safety gear and practice the habits that will keep you and your passenger safe. As motorcycle accident attorneys, we understand the dangers you face on the roads of New Haven and the entire state. The fact of the matter is, it can be a very dangerous place out there for motorcycle riders. In order to keep safe, there are a few things you should do.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists:
- The state of Connecticut does not require motorcycle helmets for drivers or riders over the age of 18, but wearing one can help prevent trauma, such as brain injury, and it can even save your life.
- Check the weather report before you leave and never ride in adverse weather conditions.
- Obey traffic laws and ride in the middle of the driving lane.
- Use hand and turn signals at every lane change and turn.
- Wear protective gear such as pants, boots, gloves, and jackets. While these things may not protect against all injuries, they can significantly reduce the severity of injuries sustained. Also try to wear brightly colored clothing and reflective tape, so motorists can see you.
- Never ride distracted or impaired by alcohol or other substances.
- Before you depart check, your motorcycle’s brakes, headlights and turn signals.
- Properly maintain your motorcycle to avoid mechanical malfunctions while driving.
- Be very aware of the cars around you, as they may not see you.
It’s easy to forget that just like an aircraft pilot, motorcyclists must also go through a series of safety steps to insure a safe trip. Failure to do so could lead to accidents or worse.
Our New Haven and Connecticut motorcycle accident attorneys can help you understand the laws that protect motorcyclists. Contact us at Penner Law Firm, and we can set up a free consultation.